So, made any resolutions? It is the time of year after all! I haven’t. I never do. I have the usual vague thoughts about losing weight, exercising more… that kind of thing but I never actually make any actualy resolutions. I have thought about what I would like 2015 to be about as far as work is concerned:
1. Successful launch of our new Law Programmes – there’s a lot of work to do here yet. The paperwork we need for the University processes is nearing completion but we will need to create materials, pull together timetables and assessment plans etc to make sure the programmes really work. It’s exciting and a little daunting
2. Sticking to my principles – I have always believed in a liberal legal education which is shaped by my own socio-legal and interdisciplinary background and which exposes students to new ideas and challenges them – this has to come through in the new programmes – and I think it does but the devil is of course in the detail
3. My research on identiy has stalled, I just haven’t had the time to drive that forward and yet that is the work I really want to do – so in 2015 I want to find time for that – I guess this might be resolution territory!
4. I would really like to work more with others, within my institution and outside – but that means I probably need to be a little less of a control freak. So that’s not going to happen really
5. Ah yes, number 5. I have had this little book idea, half an idea really rattling around in my head for quite a while but I don’t think I’m ready to share that quite yet – it will grow over the next 12 months, I’m sure
Oh but there is a resolution I need to make. I have been Head of School for 6 months. I have another 6 months to do with the possibility of applying for the post for a bit longer. I will apply and if I get it, my resolution is this: I will do management but I will do management my way and I will not be drawn into corporate crap, I won’t play games, I will just be me. There – how’s that for a resolution? 2015, I think I might be ready!